Thursday, May 29, 2008

Summer Karaoke

So, it's unofficially summer here on the shore. That means Jack's no longer will have the college kids and instead will be invaded by the so-called "Bennies" or "Bennys".

Anyway, since summer isn't here really yet, Jack's was uncrowed which means I get to sing more or leave earlier.

I sang three times. The first was yet another Monkees song. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is a favorite of mine written by Carole King and her then husband, Gerry Goffin. It's based on a street in West Orange, New Jersey. I've got to pay a visit there in my search for a new apartment after work and see if it deserves the venom of its lyrics.

The clip with the Monkees is from the TV show. I loved the performance miming in the "Rainbow" room. It's straight ahead performance and yet you get the essence of each of the guy's personality. It's too bad the clip is too dark.

video

I wanted to try a new song for my second selection. New to me, that is. "Alison" by Elvis Costello was one of his first hits. I had crushes and almost relationships with at least two girls named Alison. I was reminded of one of them when my friend Sean showed old photos from our SVA days. As angry I was in how I was denied the opportunity to actually date them, looking at the old picture of the one Alison and remembering the other one when I saw her ten years ago, I wondered what I saw in either of them. I would not be attracted to either of them these days, even if they looked the same as they did in the past.

The anger in the Elvis Costello song captures my feelings about the past even though the my relationships with both Alisons were not near the same. The clip is from Elvis Costello's first TV appearance. The footage is bad, I guess that's the theme for the week.

Elvis Costello 1st TV Appearance

Finally, the last song I sang was "Ballroom Blitz". I sang the song a lot in Seattle, this was the first time I sang it in New Jersey. I didn't do so well. It was okay but nearly as killer as I have done it in the past. Maybe it's the shaved head. The footage is one I've shown on my blog before.

The Sweet - Ballroom Blitz

No comments: