Sunday, April 06, 2008

His Gun Has Been Removed From His Cold Dead Hands







I'm about as left wing as one can be without being in prison, yet I have a profound fondness and respect for the legendary actor Charlton Heston.

I guess it was in "Planet Of The Apes" that I first gained a love for him. It was one of my favorite movies that used to air on CBS back in the mid 70's, and later on the 4:30 movie on WABC Channel 7 as part of a "Planet of The Apes Week"


















This would usually be followed by "Gidget" week.

Anyway, I have enjoyed many a Charlton Heston movie over the years. Though, I am not a fan of his Ben Hur, Ten Commandments phase. I blame that on the director.

He became a right wing wacko who liked his guns a little too much. He wasn't always that one note but that would be his reputaion in his last years.

Still he was willing to make an appearance in Michale Moore's "Bowling For Columbine" it's too bad that Charlton was revealed to have Alzheimer's soon after this appearance.

He wasn't a great actor but he was always a strong presence, like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. (Both Right Wingers)

It's too bad he had not done too many movies in the last thirty years. He was a top box office draw for twenty years before that.

Oh, well. He was a legend.

He will be missed

No comments: