Friday, October 06, 2006

Oh, Comma On!

We know George W Bush is not know for his ability for wordsmanship but a recent speech where he referred to our war in Iraq as a comma in historic sense. I was confused at what this meant. I read somewhere that the comma comment was a "shout out " to the Christian Right. It refers to a quote that is often repeated in modern Christian circles "Don't put a period where God puts a comma"

I really don't know what that means, so I'll interpret the "comma" comment my own way. when the war started no one was talking commas, even though I was against the war from the beginning I wasn't thinking commas. Why? Because in my mind the worst case scenario at the time I did not think the war would go on for three plus years, I didn't think terrorism would find a new home in Iraq, I did not think Bush would allow our military would be exposed to as much danger and I did not think we would lose more than a thousand soldiers in this war thus making a comma necessary when tallying up the death total in Iraq, 2,700+ and counting. George Bush, I don't think it would be possible to loathe you more...

No comments: