Wednesday, October 24, 2007

World Series, Yeah I'll Watch It.



Okay, I have been really busy with my two jobs, and avoiding baseball after the Mets collapsed. If I had the time, I would have given my favorite teams of this post season. By the time I was ready, two of my top three favorites were swept out of it.

The 8 post season teams were in this order:

1. Chicago Cubs
2. Cleveland Indians
3. Philadelphia Phillies
4. Colorado Rockies
5. Boston Red Sox
6. The Whatever Angels
7. Arizona Diamondbacks
8. New York Yankees

It's consistent with my list of teams I wrote in a previous blog.

So, the World Series consist of the middle teams on my list. So I'm not getting the dream series of the Indians and Cubs, which would have had two of the most hard luck teams facing each other. At least it wouldn't be a near repeat of the debacle of the 2003 World Series between the Yankees and Marlins or a repeat match of the 2001 World Series between the D-Backs and Yankees. In 2003, we were close to having the Red Sox facing the Cubs, it would have been sweet.

Anyway, I have always liked the Red Sox. I rooted against them only in the 86 World Series. They have fun players, especially Manny Ramirez, a classic baseball flake with talent. When they beat the Yankees after being down 0-3 in the 2004 AL Champ series, it was my favorite baseball series not involving the Mets. So if they win I'll be happy. They will be the first team in the 21st century to win two titles, and as a Yankee hater, that is sweet.

However, the Rockies are an intriging stroy. They had a amazing run to end the season. They had to win pretty much every game the last two weeks of the season to force a one game playoff, which they did. In 1993 when the MLB expanded by two teams, I liked the Rockies more than the Florida Marlins from day one. They had the better uniforms, the better logo and better fans. They played their first year at Mile High Stadium and set the record for most fans ever at nearly 4.5 million. They added seats to their new stadium to deal with that success. They were selling out most games and signing some great players but a problem arose over the fact they played at high altitudes. They started losing more than they won. Much of the games involved runs in double digits. Many top lined pitchers didn't want to play there for what it would do to their ERA.

Anyway the Rockies started to store baseballs in their humidor to weigh down the baseball a little, and since then the Rockies have done well.

Game one is on now, the Red Sox are winning.

Let's go team!

No comments: