Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The crow don't taste good.

The regular baseball season is over and typically as a Mets fan I was very disappointed with how it ended. On the last day of the season no less, again for the second season in a row!

Anyway, the fact the Mets weren't in it really affected my pre season predictions.

A recap from April...




NL East: New York Mets







NL Central: Chicago Cubs






NL West:Arizona Diamondbacks






NL Wild Card: Philadelphia Phillies





The only I got correct was the Cubs. I guessed the Phillies would be in the playoffs, but as a wild card so I was about half right there. The D-backs were in control most of the season but they faded earlier than the Mets.

My predictions, nay my desire is for the Brewers (who I thought would do well this year) to beat the Phillies, preferably a sweep.

I want the Cubs to win against the Dodgers because.... c'mon you HAVE to root for the Cubs unless your team's still in it.

I want the Cubs to beat the Brewers to win the next round to get in their first World Series since 1945!


In the American league I predicted


AL East: Boston Red Sox





AL Central:Detroit Tigers





AL West: Seattle Mariners





AL Wild Card: New York Yankees





These predictions are somewhat embarrassing because of how bad the Mariners and Tigers were. I wasn't the only one to make this mistake but still, PeeeYuuuu!

I picked the Yankees because they had been in the playoffs last year despite looking like they were out of it in May. This year, I felt they were out of it my the end of July. You can't count the Yankees until the... "Hey is that Liza getting ready to sing?"

Still the Rays were too good and the Red Sox looked solid even without Manny to give into any Yankee mystique.

I also didn't see the Angels coming on as strong as they did, and the Central division is always unpredictable. It came to two days after the end of the baseball season to determine that race.

So I will root for the Red Sox over the Angels because I kinda like the Red Sox and I hate the Yankees. I think the Yankees would be more pissed off at the Red Sox winning it all for a third time this century. All this in the year in which the non playoff Yankees won more games (89) than they did the last time they won the World Series in 2000 (87).

I'm rooting for the Rays over the White Sox just because the Rays are a fun team to watch. Plus they are a hatd luck team that's due for some respect unlike the Marlins. Plus being in Steinbrenner's hometown of Tampa adds to the Yankee pain.

After that I want the Rays to beat the Red Sox to face the Cubs and I want the Cubs to win so I don't have to hear any sob stories about curses.

The Red Sox broke the curse in 2004

Thwe White Sox won in 2005

It's only fair for the Cubs to win in 2008

If that happens, look out Indians fans!



I also made a "surprise" teams prediction. I picked one team from each division to come out of nowhere to win it all. I was a little too cute though I did pick one team and that was the Rays.




NL East: Washington Nationals



NL Central: Pittsburgh Pirates




NL West: San Francisco Giants





AL East: Tampa Bay Rays




AL Central: Kansas City Royals




AL West: Texas Rangers




As it turned out maybe the Brewers were the only other team to be a "surprise" team to get in the palyoffs. They did well last year though, until they faded at the end.



My World Series prediction is so embarrassing that it's only fair to present it in full disclosure.




World Series: Seattle over New York Mets







It seemed like a smart pick at the time...

No comments: