Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Songs

Last night was fun, in more ways than one. I won't get into details other than to say I sang three songs and here's the videos for the songs.

Bachelor life is so fun sometimes.

When I started doing karaoke the one "crowd pleasing" song I sang a lot in the early days was "Brandy" by Looking Glass. It goes over well even to those whose name isn't Brandy. Anyway here's the video footage.



ブランディー

I have been in a Monkees mood recently, I have always loved the show and have watched it anytime they have shown repeats of the show. They were a decent music group. The show was really good for its time. Somehow they were able to group two talented musicians and two skilled actors to form a greater sum than the whole.

When they first released albums the four Monkees were prevented from doing much beyond singing the songs and acting in the show. So they had some songwriters writing the songs. Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart wrote some of the best known of the Monkees hits. "I'm Not Your Steppin' Stone" is one of their stronger efforts. It even has street cred. Years after the Monkees disbanded, the Sex Pistols covered it.

The video is one of the better "romps" from the TV show. It reminds me of some of the old Three Stooges shorts, which is somewhat appropriate since the Monkees show used the same sets and many of the same props as the Stooges.

video

The third song I sang is yet another Soundgarden song. I miss Soundgarden. They were one of the Seattle bands that gave the early 90's an "I was there, man!" vibe about it. Lead singer Chris Cornell has the best pipes in the business. I've seen them at the second Lollapalooza set of shows. I always liked Kim Thayils look. The busy beard and the long hair. These days he probably gets profiled a lot since 9/11 but man I hope that Soungarden gets together again. "Blow Up The Outside World" is from their last album and has typical dark lyrics and loud guitars. A classic.

video

No comments: