Friday, September 29, 2006

Me, Nervous? Of course! I'm a Mets fan.

This was a great season to be a Mets fan, so far.... It started off good and when they lost their nos. 4 and 5 pitcher they got better! They lost their starting left fielder and right fielder and still they ran away with the division. So when Pedro Martinez and Tom Glavine went down with nagging injuries, I didn't panic because they were so far ahead it didn't really matter. Then I realized that although it was a foregone conclusion they were playing post season baseball, I was unsure they had the starting pitching to do the job.

I think Glavine would be an okay no. 2 starter but he doesn't make he feel confident. I like Orlando Hernandez though, he's a gamer. Steve Traschel is a .500 pitcher but the team scores runs for him. John Maine I like but he's new and unchallenged. I was hoping that Pedro Martinez was gonna come back strong. I thought he was playing possum with his injuries. Resting because he wasn't needed but alas he was really hurt, and now he's gone.

For awhile the team looked like the 1986 Mets but the longer the season went it wasn't the 1986 Mets but the 1996 team, actually the 96 Yankees. I feel this year is just the beginning of a potential great run by the Mets. They have most of their starters set for the next few years. However, their pitching needs to get younger and it looks like if Rick Peterson is the real deal we'll see some really decent pitching the next 5 years.

hopefully, we won't see a let down like the 80's Mets that only had one World Series crown. Hopefully we'll avoid bad trades (Len Dykstra and Roger McDowell for Juan Samuel), The sudden performance fallout of regulars before their time, (Sid Fernandez, Howard Johnson and Ron Darling) and personal problems taken to the field (Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry)

We can hope!

Let's go Mets!

2 comments:

AlNickerson said...

Hey Scan!

The Mets have certainly surprised me this year. Hopefully, we’ll have a Subway Series World Series this year!

Go Yanks! :)

Did you get a chance to go to the Mets game when I last saw you?

Best,
Al

Scanman said...

Yes, I did that very day, I was buzzed when I went and got home really late, the train is slow