Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger


For the second week in a row I went out Tuesday night after work to learn of a young actor dying at a very young age. Last week it was former child star Brad Renfro. No surprise, he had a history of drug abuse and a problematic life style.

Heath Ledger on the other hand...

It seems unexpected. I never heard much about him in the tabloids other than the various women he dated over the years, particularly how much older they were than him.
but I never heard of any substance abuse problems.

The funny thing is that when I talked about his death with a few work colleagues they mentioned the fact that he was going to be the Joker in the new Batman movie "the Dark Knight" It's a movie that I thought only comic geeks like me and my friends Inkboy and Pro would talk about.

As a matter of fact my friend Pro had a bit part in that movie. His story can be read on Inkboy's blog.

I went to karaoke thinking maybe I'd sing "The Joker" tonight but I thought it would be in bad taste and besides someone else did sing it in tribute to him.

I thought that Heath Ledger was a good actor good enough in some ways to be another Brando. In some ways he was similar. Like Brando, he had a lot of sex appeal in his younger days and Heath like Brando, looked older than he was. He was only 28 when he died.

Anyway, I look forward to his performance in Batman. I thought it was inspired casting, not obvious but appropriate.

Anyway, I have a clip of him in his Joker guise. It's eerie how similar the look of the Joker mirrors that of Brandon Lee's Crow.




The Led Zeppelin song "I can't Quit You Babe" a nod to Brokeback Mountain.


And of course "The Joker" by the Steve Miller band. The song sang tonight during Karaoke.



No comments: